so here it is:
you know you're in zambia when...
- You’re bike riding to the village and all you hear are little kids yelling “HOW ARE YOU?” because it’s the only thing they know how to say in English.
- Everyone laughs when you speak Bemba correctly. (I’m told they’re laughing because they’re happy I’m speaking their language).
- You’re bike riding and have to move off the road to let a semi pass you. (It’s totally safe, mom, don’t worry!)
- Just when you’re about to use electricity, the power goes off for 2 hours. (Yes, this happens every day but you never know when).
- You find Pringles in a store in town and it makes your week.
- You wake up tangled up in your mosquito net… again.
- You patch holes in your room with duct tape to keep out any unwanted creatures.
- You find a hole in the patch of duct tape, which was probably eaten through by some unwanted creature.
- Doom is your greatest weapon against bugs of which you’ve never seen the likes before.
- You’re dreaming about the next bottle of cold Coca-Cola you can get.
- Meat becomes a delicacy only to be eaten once a week when you get to town.
- The only way to get money is to beg your relatives to send some via Western Union.
- You see the arm of a porcupine sticking out of a cooking pot and learn it’s dinner. (No, I did not eat it!)
- You discover Solitaire on your iPod and play it for hours over the weekend out of sheer boredom.
- Washing your clothes by hand actually becomes fun.
- You discover a lemon tree at your friend’s house, take a bagful home and make lemonade. (This was actually quite delicious!)
- You walk around barefoot outside for 2 minutes and get bubblegum stuck to the bottom of your foot.
- You make babies cry because they’ve never seen a white person before.
- You are bored enough on a Saturday night to make this list.
this does not encompass everything, but it's a start. i wanted to give you a glimpse into my life here.